Wayne.B

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:59:06 -0800, bilgeman
wrote:
Hi, I made my own hatches but I'm not sure how to fill the gaps
(3/16"). I have 3M teak seal, I have BoatLife and I have black 5200.
Which would you recommend and when do you sand? Do you fill the gaps
proud and then sand the goop down? Doesn't that smoosh black stuff
into the wood? Also, do I finish the wood first, caulk and then
varnish over the caulking and all? Thanks as always and hurry on
spring.

Others may differ, but I would finish the wood first. Use masking
tape to protect adjacent areas from caulk, wear rubber gloves, press
the caulk into shape, and texture with your finger (spray the gloves
lightly with WD40 to prevent sticking). Allow to harden for an hour
or two and then carefully remove the masking tape.