Ewan Scott

Is it just me that has noticed that the more pockets you get the more

money
you pay? It's such a negligable amount of fabric used! (Like, why do you
pay more for thongs? Ok, mind wandering again.)

I think they call it added value - so you pay more... No, doesn't make sense
to me either. Now thongs, we'd better discuss off group :-)

Paddles, get what you are comfortable with.

I've been using a 60 deg feather, which I'm not greatly happy with but

it'll
do till I work out what I really really like. It can be a spare after

that.
What is the shaft length relative to? I mean, is it something logical

like
the taller you are the longer your paddle shaft length? Or it it just

what
you prefer? I guess the guys at the shop can help me with that.

The recommended measure was from floor to top of your reach with your
fingers wrapped round the top edce of the padle, if you know what I mean.
But for WW most people are going for shorter paddles.

Throw bag - 15 metres.

Would you reccomend this even for a newbie? I know how to use it (I work

as
a lifeguard) but I'd be worried about carrying it for some strange reason!
Do you think that all adult kayakers should have one? Where abouts do you
carry yours BTW?

I strap mine in behind the seat. Discard the chest harness, you'll rarely
use a throw line from your boat. But if inspecting rapids you should always
take your paddle and throw line with you, since by efinition what you are
looking at has a higher element of risk. If you have the gear with you and
someone falls in you can perform a rescue. If only one has the gear and he
falls in...

Already got, not allowed on the water with the club without them.

Tow line - if you buy one get an elasticated one - it is far easier to

tow
with than the non elasticated type - also, make sure there is a small

metal
crab on the end rather than a plastic clip.

Again, a good idea for a newbie? I'd be really worried about getting one.

You won't need it straight away, but you'll want one sooner or leter. I hate
carrying it.

A sling and a crab for hauling your boat up and down embankments. We

have
2m sling and a self locking crab - if you can find a piece of cork

thread
the sling theough the cork in case you drop it in the water.

Where do I get these? Anything that makes my boat easier to carry is

good!

Any outdoor shop that does climbing gear.

Spray deck that fits quite tightly, neoprene is best. - tip, you can run
silicone sealant under the lip of the cockpit to make a better seal -

but
it
does come undone - you can also seal all screwheads the same way.

Again, I'm having problems with this one. I can't seem to find a decent
neoprene deck with a small enough waist to fit properly.

Eat more chips :-)

Emergency kit - buy a spare bung for your boat and find some plastic

sealant
of some sort to carry with you. Plus all the FA kit you will need -

don't
forget you own personal medication - you might not be able to give

someone
else codiene, but you can give it to yourself if you need it.

Where the hell do you carry all this stuff? I'd be able to fit it behind

my
seat, but how do I keep it there?

You are supposed to tie it in, but if you deflate your buoyancy bags, stuff
the gear in evenly, some left side, some right, and re-inflate, you'll be
okay - BTW, don't forget your flasks, changes of clothes, etc all have to go
in there too :-)

Ewan Scott