Skip Gundlach

about sold.com and other sources for pricing.

At one time I had access (just before a YachtWorld web page rebuild) to the
sold boats inventory.

In buying our boat, a couple of brokers had offered us those pages (the list
of sold boats).

If you'll get your broker to give you a screen shot, the links will remain
in the HTML code.

I called each of the boats' original brokers. I found some discrepancies
between the posted sale and reality - but most were correct.

However, no broker is obligated to record the sale. As a result, several of
the make/model we were pursuing hadn't been recorded. I used those know
points to add to my database.

In the end, over a 5 year period, known sales were at 88+% of list (though
there may have been some reductions along the way). High in that time was
about 92%; low was about 85%, in any given year.

Included in those were the couple which were at 67/75% - all the rest were
in the 80-90s.

YMMV, and the market may well have changed. However, when a broker I trust
told me that, on the whole, boats are selling in the 88-90% range, I was
able to confirm that with a reasonably extensive (25) sample of our type.
Because it would fit under a threshold, our broker recommended the seller
lower his price by 10% of what he'd originally thought it worth. Based on
what we'd seen to that point, likely that (the higher price) was reasonable
market value. In the end, we wound up buying at 83% of the higher price and
92% of the lowered-to-meet-a-threshold price. So, it still fits...

So, find the type you want, and get a broker to send you the page(s) of sold
boats for the entirety (since late 88) that YachtWorld maintains the list.
Do your due diligence and call the brokers involved. In our case, two of the
boats we'd looked at had sold twice in that period. Some of the boat prices
represented were entirely out of line with reality, so we chucked them from
the database.

The cool thing about the listing is that - if you've got the links - they
stay up. We were able to access boats all the way back to a 4-digit (I
thought it had to be a mistake) listing! That is, if you've not got a great
intimacy already with the type, the sold boat list will be accessible after
the sale, and you can see pictures of many more boats than are currently
available. In our case, it gave us some ideas for modifications we wanted
to do...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, refitting as fast as we can

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain