Sal's Dad

Ray, there are a great many postings on this (and other) board(s) from
inexperienced people, who seem to be getting off to a bad start. They
should be encouraged to get some experience in a variety of boats, and to
look long and hard at buying a commercial product, before building one.
And to research existing designs and designers, before trying to design
their own. The consequences of failure can, indeed, be high.

From Thomas's initial posting, it appeared to me (and others) that he might
be in this category. Having built one skiff, he was going on to design and
build a small but complex sailing craft. Not until later postings did it
emerge that he has significant experience on the water, in large and small
craft.

Anybody contemplating building a boat should be aware of the time, expense,
and risk involved - as well as the rewards and pleasures.

"Ray Aldridge" wrote in message
news

Same with boats. If you're willing to stand the risk that the boat won't
be
any good and will have zero value (or worse, drown someone), have a nice
trip.

Oh for heaven's sake. A guy who's actually built a boat appears, asks a
respectful question, and this is the sort of useless quack people make.
If every aspiring designer had listened to this sort of cynical
self-defeating advice, we'd still be paddling across the river on a log.