Peter Clinch

Charlie wrote:

Are the low cut PFD's generally better?

Hmmmmm... define "better"...

They look like they should be, and
they're generally much more expensive. They look like the offer a really
good range of movement around the shoulder and core. It's one thing I don't
want to skimp on, I'd rather pay more money for something I may never need,
but could one day save my life if it's up to scratch.

It's the floatation that will do the life saving, and if it didn't keep
you afloat they wouldn't be able to get them on the market legally.
Beyond that the movement potential is best assessed by trying it on
while sat in a boat and holding a paddle. Won't be the same in the shop
as on the water, but it's much better than looking at pictures and
assuming more money == better design. If it doesn't allow comfortable
paddling action it'll **** you off with every stroke, but if a cheaper
design isn't restrictive then don't worry about it /looking/ as if it
might be!

Of course, at the
back my my head, I realise that a company wouldn't sell a PFD labelled for
whitewater that wouldn't be able to pull you out of a tricky situation!

A BA won't really pull you out of a tricky situation: that generally
requires human intervention, whether you or someone else. It /will/
provide buoyancy which can be a big help, but if you get trapped
underwater you'll still drown and if you're swept out to see you'll
still get hypothermic. And an expensive BA won't really help you any
more than a cheap one in such a situation.

Anyway, I'm going to be heading off to the pool for a rolling clinic (still
can't get it!) so I'll love you and leave you!

It'll come. It takes some folk longer than others, but it'll come.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK