Ewan Scott

"Charlie" wrote in message
I'm going off to buy most of my kit next week (at Eddy Lines if you live

in
the Welsh sticks like me!) and was after some recommendations. Basically

need:

I can't tell you what kit YOU need, but basics for WW - if you are keen.

Sleeveless Long John Wetsuit £about £55 for a 3mm suit.
Wetsuit boots.
Dry Cag of some sort - that is rubber seals on neck and wrists, and a double
seal for the spraydeck. I use a reed Chill Cheater whict I think is ace, my
son hates his with a vengeance though - each to their own. Make sure you
have room to move in it.
BA - enough to carry your weight, pocket on the front for odds and sods - I
carry a mars bar - wrappers are waterproof! - A piece of fruit, and a small
garlic sausage - as I say, each to their own. It also has a clasp to attach
keys. Get one that is comfortable, don't worry too much about the harness
you'll only really need it if you are doing whitewater rescue - time enough
for that later. BTW - if you set it up too tight at the start of paddling,
by the time you have done 500 yards you will need to slacken it off as you
are starting to take deeper breaths. My wife has a BA that I can use and
vice versa - Unless you are a Jordan, I doubt that there is any real
difference between BA's BTW, she doesn't wear support when paddling, if you
know what I mean.
Paddles, get what you are comfortable with. It might be right, it might not.
Don't be persuaded by anyone who has just spent £150 on a paddle that theirs
would be the best for you. Very few people who spend money on kit will admit
it is crap, and anyway, what is good for them may not be good for you.
What else might you need... Dry bags - forget BDAs, they are too rigid, use
soft nylon drybags - we all have a medium for clothes and a small for
emergency kit.
A survival bag - one of those orange poly ones, don't open it, fold it flat
and duck tape it to the inside of your boat - it is for emergency use only.
If your club/ instructor want you to play silly sods on emergency exercises
get another one to play with. Keeping your original taped to your boat means
you will have it when you need it.
Helmet - one that fits and you are comfortable with - avoid peaks and face
guards - at this stage :-)
Throw bag - 15 metres.
Bouyancy bags for your boat.
Tow line - if you buy one get an elasticated one - it is far easier to tow
with than the non elasticated type - also, make sure there is a small metal
crab on the end rather than a plastic clip.
A sling and a crab for hauling your boat up and down embankments. We have a
2m sling and a self locking crab - if you can find a piece of cork thread
the sling theough the cork in case you drop it in the water.
Flask
Cold drinks flask
Bungee cord to provide strap in boat to hold your water bottle so that you
can always have a drink when you need one.
Spray deck that fits quite tightly, neoprene is best. - tip, you can run
silicone sealant under the lip of the cockpit to make a better seal - but it
does come undone - you can also seal all screwheads the same way.

Emergency kit - buy a spare bung for your boat and find some plastic sealant
of some sort to carry with you. Plus all the FA kit you will need - don't
forget you own personal medication - you might not be able to give someone
else codiene, but you can give it to yourself if you need it.

You might also add paddle mits - now, here is a bit of advice I give my
beginners - DO NOT WEAR GLOVES or MITS that enclose your hands. Buy neoprene
mits with open palms so that you can feel the paddle. - you can flip then on
and off your hands as required. Pogies are old hat... I hate them - okay, so
you should never let your paddle go, but if you are attched by way of
pogies... again, personal preferences.

I know you asked for a female perspective but there are five of us paddle
and the only kit that really varies between us is the boat, the rest is
interchangeable - except we tend to hang onto our own paddles.

Ewan Scott