William R. Watt

It should be pointed out that "encapsulation" of a wood hull should be
done when first built, 3 applications of epoxy resin recommended, when the
wood is clean and dry. Even then there is some disagreement on susequent
absorbtion of water through abraisions, etc. But for an older boat any
attempt to seal the inside of the hull also seals in dirt, microbes and
moisture, all of which can cause problems and spread under the sealant.
With the an older decked over wood sailboat I owned (monocoque mahogony
strip) I applied a coat of thinned linseed oil with a stiff brush every
second year on the advice of the builder who insisted wood needs to
"breathe".

It's a lot like trying to prevent rust on a car. Any aftermarket rust
treatmenmt should be done at time of purchase. Otherwise annual underbody
treatment with oil is effective, some think moreso.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm