Doug Dotson

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
John Proctor wrote in
news:2005032710245316807%lost@nowhereorg:

Jim, I think it is a matter of degree. One should be prepared for the
worst. A backup system must be available for reliable first time use
when the chips are down. Yes 90% of the time you will have no problem
using a backstay. The point I was trying to make is that there are
alternatives which can give good (notice I didn't say great!) service
which address other reliability issues.

Good idea. Lionheart is equipped with a 406 Mhz EPIRB with its own GPS
receiver built right inside.....

If the mast comes down or other catastrophy happens, just push that little
button.....

I'm not sure a dismasting rises to the level of a MAYDAY. I'd like to be
able
to be able to seek help and advise via SSB before resorting to declaring an
emergency.

DOug