Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:10:21 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:53:20 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

A friend had one many years ago. He was an expert, but he invited me out
few times and I had no trouble making the thing go, stop, but not roll
over.
Great little boats. Well....OK...I did roll it over once, but he wanted
me
to learn how far the thing could be pushed before that would happen.

Did you ever 'pitchpole' one? That might scare the little ones.

It might. But you can sail one for years and never pitchpole or even
capize it if you don't want to. The only reason it will pitchpole or
capsize is if you're sailing it at the limit, trying to go as fast as
possible and have as much excitement and fun as possible. If you have
little ones on board, just don't do that. Unless you're in very high
winds (like over 30kts, which you shouldn't be anyway) if you don't
sheet in the main tight, you'll always keep both pontoons in the water.

Steve

Exactly. You don't have to sail like someone doing a Pepsi commercial,
trying to fly over waves. And as far as scaring the little ones, if they're
not swimming like porpoises by age 3 or 4, they have no business being in a
boat as open as a Hobie Cat or Sunfish anyway. I don't care if they've got a
PFD and 2 bodyguards from an Olympic swim team. Their confidence has to be
automatic and absolute.

Totally agree with you Doug.

Later,

Tom