Roger Long

Default Galvanic Isolators

After having been fooled by another bit of wisdom that seemed to be
accepted by all the top authorities (NPT onto NPS through hull
fittings), I'd like to get some real world ground truthing on
another.

Calder strongly recommends galvanic isolators with a monitoring
function to verify that moisture, AC ripple leakage, or other problems
have not disabled the diodes. The epoxy encapsulated units seemed to
be coming on the market just as the second edition of his book came
out.

Has anyone experienced failure or leakage of the new generation such
as the Guest 2433?
Is the extra 70 bucks for the monitoring belt and suspenders?

Calder also recommends and alludes to new ABYC requirements for the GA
capacity to be 1.3 times the shorepower connection. Does that mean
that the Guest unit which is ABYC approved does have the extra margin
or should I spend even more and get the 50A unit?

--

Roger Long