Very interesting suggestions, thank you. I'll be experimenting with
them soon.

I do wish I knew though about that "cold starting device" mentioned in
the manual. It says that the CAV fuel injector (which I have) should
have a manual cold starting device, and shows a picture of a knob and
says to pull it out to start. Unless this is referring to the fuel
cutoff, I don't think I have such a knob to pull.

The mechanic I talked to said that on later Volvo diesels (don't know
what injector they use), if you push the "throttle" to full-on, then
momentarily pull out the fuel cutoff knob and push it back in, it will
set something inside the injector for cold starting. He speculated
that possibly mine has the same thing; I haven't experimented with that
yet either.

P.S. Obviously "throttle" isn't a precise term with fuel injection.
I've seen others refer to this as "rack". What does that mean, and why
use that term?