Peter Clinch

elyob wrote:

I think I'd like a bit of both from a single vessel. I'd like to potter up
to a pub on the river, but also (mainly) use it to build strength and
technique.

Note that you can have plenty of strength and technique in an open canoe
and /still/ be a lot slower than a kayak. So if strength and technique
is all you're after on your Go For It competitive side, not necessarily
related to absolute speed and range, then a canoe can still do the job.
In fact you'll need to use /more/ technique to get a canoe moving well.

On the pottering front it's easier to get in and out of and is much more
flexible as regards loading. About 16' can go either 1 or 2 up, so the
easier to put a portage trolley in with the gear...

But to eat up the miles and still carry a reasonable bit of kit a
touring kayak will be quicker, and easier to get fluent at paddling. A
tourer won't be as quickly as a marathon boat like DK's suggesting, but
is (I'd think) a lot easier to do a week's worth of camping from!

As with bikes, you are stuck with the fact that One Size Does Not Fit
All Purposes.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK