David Kemper

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
David Kemper wrote:

Well yes but then you have to consider that the effort required to

move
a craft with greater drag and more windage is going to limit the
distance the OP can go for a given amount of energy. That is to say
before he gets too tired.

Indeed, though as with speed, if that distance is /enough/ then it's a
moot point. If he only wants to go X miles, and can, then that's

okay,
and it's also okay if he doesn't really care how many miles as long as
he has a nice time and has somewhere to stop..

My ankles also suffer. I prefer kneeling to sitting as I find I can
control the canoe better and move faster. Speed is always the goal

when
you belong to the racing community. Even when there is no real need!

Looking at the scenery and wildlife is more the goal for the touring
community! If the OP does want to cover a good chunk of water the

kayak
would be better, but if his tastes are more like mine then lots of
luxury camp kit in a Canadian would be more the thing...

Yes, I concede that you are absolutely correct in terms of gentle
touring/ pottering about. I was under the impression the OP was looking
to do DW next year though. (maybe that should be he is considering it a
possibility) This implies he wants to be able to cover a larger distance
and indeed will be disqualified on safety grounds should he fail to
complete any stage within the permitted time slot. DW in a solo Canadian
would be a nightmare trip. I'm sure someone will have done it though.

David Kemper
Not a fan of bad dreams.