Doug Dotson

"chuck" wrote in message
Hello Doug,

Interesting to hear of your success with the 23' whip. I wonder how you
have mounted it. Do you use the standard Shakespeare mount at the base
with no intermediate supports?

It is mounted with the base fixed to the transome. The an intermedeate
mount is on the end of the radar arch which gives it support about 6
feet up.

I've always been concerned that the "whipping" in a swell would really
stress the mounting.

We've been bounced around pretty good offshore and there are
no signs of problems. I'm going to replace the upper mount just
because the UV has deteriorated it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chuck

Doug Dotson wrote:
Absolutely! I run a 23' Shakespeare whip with excellent results. It works
better than the insulated backstay I had on my old C&C 36. he whip came
with the boat and my first reaction was to insulate the backstay. But the
whip
works so well that I found other things to spend the money on.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Gordon" wrote in message

Thinking of ssb and ham for a 32' sailboat. Do the whip type antennas
make
a satisfactory setup?