Peter Clinch

David Kemper wrote:

Well yes but then you have to consider that the effort required to move
a craft with greater drag and more windage is going to limit the
distance the OP can go for a given amount of energy. That is to say
before he gets too tired.

Indeed, though as with speed, if that distance is /enough/ then it's a
moot point. If he only wants to go X miles, and can, then that's okay,
and it's also okay if he doesn't really care how many miles as long as
he has a nice time and has somewhere to stop..

My ankles also suffer. I prefer kneeling to sitting as I find I can
control the canoe better and move faster. Speed is always the goal when
you belong to the racing community. Even when there is no real need!

Looking at the scenery and wildlife is more the goal for the touring
community! If the OP does want to cover a good chunk of water the kayak
would be better, but if his tastes are more like mine then lots of
luxury camp kit in a Canadian would be more the thing...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK