DSK

"Joe" wrote
Doug remember the size of the computer in CIC? It was the size of a
refrigerator and about as 1/8 as powerful as todays average laptop.

I didn't spend much time in CIC but I remember several computers in
there. The one I remember best was the signal analyzer for the SLQ-32
electronic warfare & countermeasures system, it was about the size of 2
fridges. I don't know how much memory or what kind of processor it had
but it used those old 8" floppy disks.

It has more to do with the changing role of the Navy and the
advancement of weapons and electronics.

Not really, it has more to do with the fact that the Navy has found
manpower to be more expensive than hardware... especially well trained
manpower. Used to be it was no big deal for a rating to put in 20+ hours
per week on maintenance in addition to any repair work, training &
watches. Nowadays they barely can get people to stand watches, and hire
civilians to do all the work. It's partly because of the "profit motive"
of today's gov't too.

The Ticonderoga class cruisers are awesome platforms for all the tasks
the Navy says they "need" new ships for.

Jay Santos wrote:
There were no computers in CIC on Knox Class Frigates.

Bull feathers. What do you think the NTDS and LINK-4 were hooked up to?
I may have been an engineer but I spent enough time in CIC to know better.

Actually there were several TRS-80s in CIC and Fox, and a Mac in
DC-Central back when I was riding around on one of these (mid 1980s),
used for various official functions. Then there were the unofficial
machines... the Chief's mess had an Atari for playing video games, the
ET shop had a PC-Jr, I had a C-64 in the cal lab.

Regards
Doug King, ex-BT1(SW)