Lew Hodgett

snip
My guess is that as they approached from the south, they did not stand
off the coast until the last and then run straight in towards the
detached breakwater(and beach), turning sharply to port inside the lee
as they rode or followed a wave in. They probably saved time with a
direct route that kept the seas on the port beam as they aproached and
found themselves with breaking surf on them at the entrance! Maybe not
broaching them, yet certainly carrying them precious valuable and non
affordable feet to leeward, and onto the shoal.

One of the first things I had beat into my head was to NEVER try to cut
the corner of a harbor entrance, especially a new one you have never
been in before.

Stay out and come straight in.

BTW, that strategy is especially useful on Lake Huron, especially on the
lee shore (Canadian side).

From memory, Pt Clarke comes out from shore for over 1/2 mile, and it
definitely not sand.

It has just been announced that the attempt to pull back into deeper
water at high tide tonight had to be abandoned. Water is just too rough.

Next attempt scheduled for 0800 PST, tomorrow morning.

Divers report there are no unwanted holes in the hull; however, engine
compartment is flooded and will be pumped prior to attempt, according to
local news reports.

Lew