It still is......for now...
I was talking to a guy who spent all last week on the yacht, as the
cook.
He told me that the vessel drew 11' and the keel was 73'.....
That would leave little room for error in what I know to be a heavily
shoaled entrance. I was just there last week delivering a motoryacht.
My guess is that as they approached from the south, they did not stand
off the coast until the last and then run straight in towards the
detached breakwater(and beach), turning sharply to port inside the lee
as they rode or followed a wave in. They probably saved time with a
direct route that kept the seas on the port beam as they aproached and
found themselves with breaking surf on them at the entrance! Maybe not
broaching them, yet certainly carrying them precious valuable and non
affordable feet to leeward, and onto the shoal.

Captain Mack
www.gosailnow.com