Bill Oldroyd

elyob wrote:
I did pop through a locks at Shepperton when I borrowed one for an
hour or two last year. I held on to the chains as you say.

One reason for going through the locks is that it gives you a chance to
rest and chat with the people on the boats and the lock keeper. On the
other hand portaging around a lock gives you a chance to stretch your legs.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there are quite a few charming
backwaters you can use instead of the mainstream. A number of the weirs
can be portaged next to the weir or across into the weir stream, and
this again takes you away from the mainstream. However for both these
you need local knowledge and care so if you don't have either it's
not an option. Apparently the right of way on the Thames covers any
backwater (except the Jubilee river ?).

When I was doing this sort of stuff there were also a few weirs that
could be shot. I don't know if this is the case anymore.

Bill