Bruce in Alaska

In article .com,
wrote:

Hmmm... interesting observation. I don't know what the "automatic
cold-starting device" might be, but whatever it is, it's not working
very well. I'm almost certain it doesn't have glow plugs; I think it
says so in one of the manuals. I'll double-check at the next
opportunity.

I called a local Volvo Penta service shop this morning, and talked with
a mechanic. He said that the only thing he could suggest would be an
external heater -- he suggested a company called Wolverine that makes
such a thing. Or he said I could just point a space heater at it for a
while. Guess I'll have to try that and see if it helps.

Fortunately, electricity is free at my marina...

Actually if one would adapt the Mrs's electric hair dryer, to the intake
manifold of that diesel engine, and turn it on 30 seconds before
cranking the engine, no block heater or anything else will be required
to get it to start on the first or second compression stroke. Works
every time. It isn't the temp of the block, cooling system, or anythng
like that, that makes the engine easy to start. It is the temp of the
AIR going into the Cyl, and being compressed on the Compression Stroke,
while fuel is Injected at just before TDC, that causes a diesel engine
to run. Raise the Temp of the Intake Air and it will start. That's what
GlowPlugs do, and that is what Intake Manifold Heaters do. Ever wonder
why all LongHaul Truckes have Hair Dryers in the toolkit??? It isn't
to blowdry their hair........

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @