elyob

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Ewan Scott wrote:

So, how smelly do you want to get? I think you would be hard pushed to
get a
week's worth of kit in a modern kayak. Possibly a little more in a
longer,
older boat such as a GRP one, or perhas a Corsica or similar.

A dedicated touring boat has /plenty/ of room. I've had enough gear in a
kayak for a 3 day *ski touring* trip off a Norwegian hydro loch, so I
really don't see that a few extra days without the plastic boots, skis,
poles and extra warm clothing etc. will be /that/ problematical! The sort
of things folk like to cartwheel in stoppers won't do you any good,
granted.

for a Canadian to carry your gear. But it will be heavy, so get wheels
for
portaging too.

Certainly easier to load in terms of both absolute volume and ease if
input and output, and though it's slower that's only really an issue if
you're in a hurry. I'd personally take a Canadian for this sort of job,
especially as they offer you more potential comfort from a variety of
seating/kneeling positions, but some people prefer kayaks.

On a weeks tour of Cornwall on bicycle, I managed with tent, sleeping bag,
roll mat and a weeks worth of clothing. Granted, I took no cooking
facilities and just grabbed sandwiches and pub food on the way round. I'm
looking at not taking a tent and replacing it with an outdoor hammock, which
will take up 1/4 of the space and weight.

I guess that I will 'go with the flow' on any extended journey, as I'd like
to enjoy it and not have to overwork too much! So, I will just go up and
down on one day trips for near my home. Hopefully I will find someone else
willing to go away on a trip, especially as I'd have no way of getting there
with equipment. How do most people do downstream trips, you must always have
a dedicated driver? I'm presuming taking a kayak on the bus/train/tube is a
no-no!

Are most kayaks now made from plastic rather than GRP? Does anyone have
manufacturer links, shops etc?

Thanks