Doug Dotson

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:34:08 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Len wrote:

[...]
A few years ago, decided to try to use up some ammunition my father had
purchased during WWII and see if it was still good.

Went sailing one afternoon, took my trusty Model 12, Winchester shotgun
and some empty throw away beer bottles for targets.

The waves were about 2-3 ft and had about 10 knots of wind.

Set the autopilot on a beam reach, trimmed the sails, loaded the shotgun
and proceeded to conduct target practice.

About 25-30 shots later, I had failed to either hit a bottle while it
was still in the air or after it had landed in the water.

It was quite an eye opener.

Besides a shotgun not being the most accurate of weapons and possibly
lack of skill on the part of the shooter, using 60+ year old ammo
couldn't have helped.

Probably had corrosive primers as well. Lucky he didn;t blow him self up.

Steve