Hi Gould,

Thanks for your futher analysis.

QUOTE:

"There is a simple answer to your question concerning boat
depereciation. The boat that sold for $100,000 ten years ago and still
brings $100,000 today does so not because the boat hasn't aged or worn
out, but because the same boat today now sells for $200,000 new. Used
boat prices are justified by comparing to the cost of purchasing the
same thing new, more like houses than cars. (Likely due to the fact
that unlike cars, boats aren't shot after 5-6 years of average use).
Unlike real estate, most boats won't actually appreciate but if the new

price goes up high enough, fast enough, an older boat often sells for
the same amount of pre-inflated dollars ten years or 20 years after the

fact than it did when new."

END QUOTE

I'm sure you've nailed it he the new boat market is still in a
bubble. I've seen the exact same model 12.5 meter boat made by Aquanaut
which was offered to me NEW at a boatshow ten years ago for $100k
selling now for over $300k. If this holds true for used boats, some of
us may well wait to buy until the economy gets hit with hard enough a
sidebelt that some boatbuilders either close up shop or crunch their
pricing numbers significantly lower.

However, I don't necessarily think that you can establish a positive
mathematical relation between new and used boat prices, as they are
possibly not the same market population. For example, I for one would
never buy a new boat at today's prices although I regretfully didn't do
so ten years ago as per the example above. This may hold true for the
pricing of very recent used boats, when due to highly justified sticker
shock induced by market gouging pricing, new boat buyers try to soften
the blow by passing on the initial depreciation to a previous owner.
But those buying 10 to 20 year old boats are usually not, to my mind,
debating spending $200k on new versus $60k on used. Just my humble
opinion.

Respectfully,

Rich