Tom

On 20 Mar 2005 22:54:37 -0800, wrote:

Hi Guys & Gals,

I'm sure you've all had experience buying boats. I'm seeking advice on
how to understand used boat prices.

The online NADA Used Boat Prices shows retail prices which you can
customize by dialing in all the features and options on a given boat.

Here is where the problem comes in:

The boats for sale at brokers - in the brand and model I am looking to
purchase - are listed at around DOUBLE their official pricing on the
price rating lists.

While looking for a center console recently I found that most used
boats were priced somewhere around the NADA list. Some were slightly
below- some slightly above and a few were substantially above. After
looking for several months and having an interest in several I went to
the boat show and found what I was looking for and only cost a few
thousand more than the used boats I had selected. This boat had all of
the features I wanted plus a warranty. I never thought I would buy a
new boat but I found the used market was not as soft as I expected it
to be so I took the plunge. NADA is a pretty good guide but local
market demands will have a much more serious impact on pricing. Good
luck with your search.