Short Wave Sportfishing

On 20 Mar 2005 07:50:38 -0800, "Izmack" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

We are looking at at late 80's Trojan F32 with very high moisture
readings in the hull, but zero signs of blistering either currently or
in the past. Our surveyor, who was VERY thorough, said the following:

"Bottom was found in above average condition, having no signs of
blistering,crazing or delamination. High moisture levels were noted,
ranging between 80-100 and some crusty deposits were noted, indicating
laminate hydrolysis. Recommendation to dry store vessel each winter off
season to maintain current good condition. If vessel is left overboard,
some blistering or delamination could be expected over time."

I know I'm asking for a barrage of opinions, but, considering it's a 16
year old boat and the fact we are first time boat buyers and that the
rest of the survey was above average, what do you all think? And -
will future buyers balk at resale?

Here is an online resource for you on laminate hydrolysis.

http://www.zahnisers.com/repair/blister/blister1.htm

Did the surveyor mention how extensive the moisture was? Was it
specifically located or an overall condition? What is the rating of
the moisture - 80 to 100% or was that a measuring scale and what
percentage would that reading indicate? Some moisture readers work
on a readable scale - some display direct moisture percentage.

If it's only a local condition at one or two points in the hull, then
I wouldn't worry about it - for a 16 year old boat, that's not bad at
all.

If it's an overall condition in the hull, then I wouldn't buy it -
something has gone wrong with the gel coat and the hull is
compromised. You could be looking at future problems which could make
it more expensive than you bargained for.

You may not have blisters now, but the it's likely that you will have
them in the future.

Later,

Tom