Frederick Burroughs

BCITORGB wrote:

But what I find interesting about Frederick's story is that KMAN,
Michael, and BCITORGB don't know what it is like being denied insurance
coverage because of diabetes or cholesterol issues. We have no idea
about the trauma or stress one might feel as the insurance companies
jack up the premiums or outright deny coverage.

Frederick states that "health insurance is our single most expensive
monthly expense, and that doesn't count the co-pays and deductibles". I
don't have the figures at hand; perhaps the taxes I pay in Canada, and
the portion thereof that goes to healthcare, are equal to or greater
than Frederick's monthly premiums (somehow I doubt it). However, I do
know that I'll always have that coverage.

I could lose my health insurance at any time. If I were to change
jobs, any potential new employer would have to weigh the added burden
of putting a diabetic on their insurance policy. Thus, my job options
become much more limited. My present employer could decide to drop
insurance coverage (this happened to my wife). As I said before, most
insurance companies would deny me coverage. (Cherry-picking is the
vernacular for this common practice.) I would be **** out of luck, not
to mention the burden placed on a family where dad has serious medical
issues and can't get insurance. The threat of loss of insurance is a
constant and pervasive source of worry for me, despite the sizable
contributions I have paid into it over the years.

--
"This president has destroyed the country, the economy,
the relationship with the rest of the world.

- Hunter S. Thompson, speaking to an antiwar audience in 2003.