Calif Bill

Default trailer tires

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"Karen Kent" wrote in message
Thanks. What should the load range of the tires be? The boat's about

3800
pounds and I'm guessing the trailer is less than 700-800. So, should

each
tire have a load range of 1/4 that total weight?

I would go a lot more than 1/4.

To start with, you need to consider how much the boat might be loaded

when
you are on a long road trip. It is common to use the boat as a utility
trailer when you go boat camping and such. The weight of the camp gear,

ice
chests, tool boxes, extra gas cans, etc. can add up pretty quickly.

A second issue is that the axels are not likely to be loaded equally.
Depending on a lot of issue, (such as the height of the hitch on your tow
vehicle) one axel could end up carrying significantly more weight than the
other.

I would recommend tires that had a rating of around 1700 lbs each.

Rod

My 1991 EZ-loader tandem trailer weighs in at 1100#.
Bill