Alan Frame

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
Can I get a clear definition of "Pan-Pan", who and when may it be
declared.

I have hard the USCG declare "Pan-Pan", followed by a requirement that all
none "Pan-Pan" traffic on channel 16 traffic be suspended.

True. Pan-Pan (pronounced Pon-Pon) is a non-life threatening emergency.

Can an individual boat declare "Pan-Pan", say when a crew member is lost
overboard, etc??

Any vessel can call Pan-Pan. A crew member lost overboard would be a MAYDAY
however.

From a UK perspective, I've been told that MOB on a well-crewed race
yacht involving say, a foredeck monkey, would be a Pan-Pan, but a MOB
where the remaining crew are 75-yo grandfather on the helm, and an 12-yo
child down below would be a Mayday.

I assume we all agree that SAR prefer to downgrade rather than upgrade
when it's too late.

ISTR that (in the EU at least), 'Pan-Pan Medico'[0] has been depricated.

rgds, Alan
[0] i.e STFU, I want to speak to a doctor 'cos I'm not sure that it's
'grave and iminent'
--
99 Ducati 748BP, 95 Ducati 600SS, 81 Guzzi Monza, 74 MV Agusta 350
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" SI# 7.067 DoD#1930 PGP Key 0xBDED56C5