I haven't heard anything about a mandatory boater education plan. Do
you
have any links to more information?

******************

The following letter from the president of NMTA does an excellent job
of encapsulating the most important points of the proposal.

(If you can prove you passed a USCG Aux or Power Squadron course at any
time in the past you will not be required to sit through a class.
Boaters can also challenge the exam without sitting through class...and
those who flunk belong in class).......

Message from Michael Campbell:

Dear NMTA Members,

Last Friday I sent an e-mail asking you to contact your State Senator
and urge them to support the Mandatory Boater Education Bill. I
received a few comments back from members who were not supportive of
the proposed legislation, and I wanted to take a minute to outline the
important parts of the bill so that NMTA members understand the details
of the proposed new law and can share the information with other
boaters.

I believe that the proposed bill is boater friendly and was
thoughtfully written by boaters=85 for boaters.

Here are the main ideas of the Mandatory Boater Ed bill:

You must be 12 years old to operate a boat of 15 HP or more.
The law is phased in over many years depending on the age group.
The first age group (20 and under) will not need to obtain a card until
2008.
If you were born before 1955 you never need to obtain a card.
The card has a one time fee of $10 and can never be revoked =96 it=92s good
for life.

A course and test can be taken in person from any state accredited
organization or on-line as =93open-book.=94
The test can be challenged and no education course is necessary.
If a boater has completed a class any time in the past, a copy of the
certificate can be sent to the state and a card issued.
New boat owners have 60 days from the date of purchase to obtain the
education card.

Please contact me or Holly Whitemarsh at NMTA is you have any questions
or comments.

Best Regards,

Michael Campbell
President