Patty O'Furniture

On 16 Mar 2005 18:28:16 -0800, wrote:

From today's e-mail:

At about 10:20 AM today the Senate passed our Boater Safety Education
Bill. The vote was on final passage was: 30 yea-18 nay.

Speaking in favor: Jacobsen, Swecker, Rockefeller, Haugen, Spanel

Speaking against: Benson, Zarelli, Benton, Hewitt, Schoesler

The opposition seemed to come from uninformed Republicans, but
regardless the Bill passed.

Next step. Pass this bill in the House. We are not done yet. Today
we got thrown a life-ring.

~~ snippage ~~

If you do anything, don't screw this up like Connecticut did with the
dual license/education system.

Here's what I mean.

Connecticut requires boaters to go through a 10 hour course, take a
test and obtain a boater's certificate. They require PWC operators to
take a six hour course and here's the kicker - it's the same course.

Exactly the same course. Instructors have to take a class for boaters
- any PWC dealer can give the class based on the course curriculum.

Get on the horn to who ever is developing the education program and
make sure they don't go with the dual certificate system - one course,
one certificate good for any personal vessel.

Later,

Tom