Marley

Armond Perretta wrote:

Marley wrote:

Seriously Armond,

How in HELL can you even post this position Armond.

You read the ENTIRE proclamation, and then decide all by your self
that part A is somehow not connected to part B. The entire
procamation is about Cuba. You can NOT arbitrarily decide that one
part applies to Cuba and the rest doesn't. That just smacks of
denial.
Frankly Armond, that is quite probably the most pathetic attempt at
avoiding responsibility for posting in error that I have ever seen.

In fact, in doing that it appears so pathetic that I would have
expected it from the likes of JaxAshby! (Low blow, I know).

Nice to see that you can read an official proclamation DIRECTLY
FROM the White House web site and arbitrarily declare that it's
"urban legend". Remarably impressive display of denial Armond!

I hope you can do better that resort merely to ad hominem attacks. Your
choice.

Getting back to the topic at hand, there is absolutely no reference in the
document that specifically states that US authorities can seize foreign
vessels merely if they are intending to travel to Cuba. That was the
contention of the poster to whom I replied.

What _is_ stated in the proclamation is:

" ... : The Secretary may make rules and regulations governing the anchorage
and movement of any vessel, foreign or domestic, in the territorial waters
of the United States, which may be used, or is susceptible of being used,
for voyage into Cuban territorial waters and that may create unsafe
conditions, or " ...

This means that anyone who violates US law ("result in unauthorized
transactions") in US territory is subject to government action. Is this
surprising? What this does _not_ mean is that non-US vessels
_not_ engaged in illegal activities are not otherwise subject to seizure.
There is nothing illegal in carrying Cuban charts, as suggested by the
writer to whom I replied, and it's preposterous to even suggest that's the
case.

Here's a parallel example. I sail to Canada quite often. There are strict
import regulations regarding liquor in Canada. I like liquor. If I violate
these regulations my vessel can be seized. Does this mean the law is
unreasonable? I don't think so.

If any vessel in US waters engages in prohibited commerce with Cuba, it can
be seized. Having Cuban charts on board (the original issue way back in
this thread) is _not_ illegal.

I am not defending this or any other law or regulation. What I am
suggesting is that it's probably a good idea to understand what is actually
stated in these documents before going on the attack. Can you or anyone
else actually give an instance of a Canadian (or other foreign) vessel
seized for carrying Cuban charts?

OK, you can get back to the ad hominem attack portion of the program, eh?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Armond,

Take the time to go back and read the document as it was written, as a
COMPLETE document. It is VERY clearly written and you truly are mistaken
in your apparently confused understanding of the proclamation.

I will not invest any further effort in trying to help you to comprehend
the document. Nor will I waste time reading your ad hominem attacks
(i.e. urban legend).

All people have two choices. To be informed or to remain ignorant.
Everyone has that choice entirely, Armond. And that choice is made for
any number of reasons, not the least of which is in an effort to support
a political belief structure.

Far be it from me to attempt further clarification for you or for anyone
else for that matter.

To those interested, just read that "urban legend" proclamation that is
posted on the white house web site and feel absolutely free to interpret
it ANY WAY that serves you best. Just like the authorities will be free
to do when they visit your vessel.

Have a wonderful day.