Didereaux

"Anthony Stock" wrote in
:

how far can a tall sailing ship travel in one day. i don't know
anything about sailing and i'm researching this for a school paper.
thanks

You can only approximate the theoretical hull speed. But the main
factors a
For a SPECIFIC ship:

1. Sufficient wind speed.
2. Sufficient total sail area.

Since you are asking about a certain class of ship, then all you need do
at this point is pick out one, Find out its Length Water Line (LWL),
look up the simple formula for determining theoretical hull speed
multiply by 24 hrs and get your 'theoretical' total run.

A good approach might be to do a look up on the 'Clippers', particularly
the 'Cutty Sark', find the dimensions and go from there. No monohull
sailing ship before or since(?) has broken it's record.

No, I am not including the formula, it is readily available and I do not
believe simply asking others to do your homework teaches anything other
than sloth. Thinking out a plan to search is often times as fruitful as
the actual search in so far as learning goes.

HINT: a good library is far more valuable a resource than all the
internet.

--
Didereaux
"Let bygones be bygones...send a concilliatory PRETZEL to the