Ryk

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:43:40 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

Can I get a clear definition of "Pan-Pan", who and when may it be declared.

Less than MayDay and a judgement call on the urgency. Possibly
appropriate in a situation of unknown severity.

I called Pan-Pan a few years ago in the middle of the night on Lake
Ontario after sighting flares. The Coast Guard operator told me I made
the right call with good form, then explained it was the military on
an exercise and that they claimed there was no need for broadcast
notice because "nobody ever sees our flares". We continued cautiously
through the area and never sighted lights or other signs of the origin
of the flares.

Ryk