rhys

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:48:04 -0500, Jeff
wrote:

I'll be curious to hear the replies - although some will say it can be
done, I've only heard a few people say they have actually done it.

I hand-start my 30 HP Atomic 4 once a year to make sure I can do it if
I have to. Rubber-banding magazine shin guards to your legs is
recommended G

It works fine if the engine is in good tune.

I am interested in finding out what popular marine diesels can still
be started this way, if any, as I find it a great alternative.

I recall more than one cruising/racing tale where a dead or damaged
electrical system was circumvented by rigging a rope to a diesel
flywheel through blocks and then using the force of a crash gybe to
spin the wheel. (I am aware of the single-cylinder/flick the
compression levers technique)

Some time back, I saw a couple of firms that made wind-up starters,
which I thought was a great idea. You could use them every time or
keep one in storage as a spare starter (they had different mounting
models and teeth for the common marine diesels.