Peter Bennett

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:34:51 -0500, Jeff
wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

For the same reason, I found (with a voltmeter) where the starter
button wires come to the relay that engages the starter. I have been
able to start with near-dead battery by crossing th econnection with a
screwdriver.

A button would be better if I were doing that all the time.

Isn't this called an "ignition switch"? What you're saying is that
the wiring though the ignition switch is too small (or corroded, etc.)
and is causing a voltage drop.

No - nothing to do with the ignition switch.

If the battery is fairly well discharged, it may not have enough power
to crank a diesel against the compression. If you lift the
decompression lever (opening the valves, and eliminating compression)
the starter may then be able to crank the engine - once the engine is
turning, the flywheel will (hopefully) have enough energy to get past
a compression stroke, and the engine may start.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca