Peter Bennett

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:33:59 -0500, Jean Dufour
wrote:

Hi Peter!

I do not disagree with you on the matter that CGs will procees a Pan Pan or
Mayday according to the emergency of the situation if described, but when I
got my operator licence, them calls were clearly described as such:

Mayday: Life threatening emergency.
Pan Pan: Non-life threatening emergency.

I do not believe the boat is the greatest concern to rescue people and CGs.
So I believe asking the question "Is someone's life in danger?". That's the
only thing one should ask himself. Yes: Mayday, Nope: Pan Pan and that's it.

The CPS Maritime Radio Course manual states that a Distress (Mayday)
call can only be sent if the _vessel_ is in grave and imminent danger,
or is aware of another vessel that is in grave and imminent danger -
no mention of people.

However, I have a US book that does include "person" in the above
definition, and I recall seeing something from a Canadian Coast Guard
website that indicated that a person in danger could justify a Mayday.

I always teach that whether a person in danger is a justifies Mayday
or not, it will be handled with the highest priority, regardless of
how the originator of the call started it.

Another good thing is that you can't get shot by a Canadian CG as they don't
carry guns! ;-)

this is true...

Jean
Montreal