Flemming Torp

Thank you Pete, for trying to help me out. What I want is to
protect my new (!) notebook (running WinXP) - control it from my
PPC (a windows version with MS Outlook, Navigation and MS
ActiveSync) in the cockpit - and as my notebook application
(DLSK) cannot run on the PPC and as the application cannot be
transferred to the PPC, I would like to use my PPC as a 'viewer'.
An alternative could be an external monitor to the notebook, and
then I could use my cordles mouse controlling the applikation ...
Unfortunately, monitor prices (5 - 10 KU$) for that kind of
application is prohibitive for my wallet and needs. Its a 'nice
to have'-solution, I'm after ...

I have been searching on the vnc site - very informative by the
way ... But I have not been able to see, whether my specific
problem - (i.e. PPC as the 'controller', and I don't have an
internet/TCP/IP on my boat, and the formats of the different
screens may also pose problems(?)) is being solved. I may present
to them my specific problem, as I'm not an IT-expert, and it is
hard to read through all the pages of the VNC manual, that I have
already downloaded ... so far, I have not seen a solution to my
problem.

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'
skrev i en meddelelse
Dennis Pogson wrote:

It would seem that our friend wishes to control a notebook and
it's software
located in the cabin from a PDA located in the cockpit. If I
am correct in
this assumption, I would have thought this to be impossible,
since the
notebook's functions cannot be replicated in the PDA, can
they?

No, they can't. If they could be, he wouldn't need the
notebook, would he?

What he can do, and what he wants to do, is merely to view and
control the laptop from the PDA. VNC is almost certainly the
answer here - there will be a server for the laptop whatever
operating system it uses. There may or may not be a viewer for
the PDA depending on what kind it is, but there's a good chance
that one will be available. I'm not sure how it will cope with
the difference in screen sizes, but the author of the PDA VNC
viewer will have thought of that and come up with something for
better or worse.

You can stick VNC into google as well as I can if you want a
link.

Pete