Flemming Torp

Thank you for your input. All I know, is that there is a cable
connection between the socket of my PPC and into a USB port in my
notebook. The program is called Microsoft ActiveSync, and I can
'see' the memory of the PPC from explorer on the notebook, when
the PPC is in the craddle ... And via this connection I can send
data back and forth. F.ex. synchronize Outlook, download maps
from PC to PPC.

I was naive, I understand, in assuming, that this connection
would be sufficient ... which reminds me of the old saying: "All
complex problems has at least one simple solution, - - - that
does not work" ...

I'm really not too much worried about making the connections
totally waterproof ... if it really gets rough, I will use my
'back up system': Pencil and paper ... (+ GPS etc. in the cabin)
.... and put my PPC in the drawer. The solution I'm looking for is
a kind of 'nice to have' ... the 'need to have' is in place!

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

"Nikki Locke" skrev i en meddelelse
Flemming Torp wrote:
As I'm very 'intrigued' by the wireless solution, I'm
curious as to what it takes to implement that set up in my
case ... I have been at the vnc homepage, which I find very
interesting, but hard to understand ... my age and my weak
background within this field - unfortunately ... If you will
help me, I will be happy - thank you!

VNC is a cross-platform application for remote controlling one
computer
from another. You can use any of Unix, Mac, Windows PC or PPC
computers to
control any (or all) of the others.

The computers have to be connected together by a TCP/IP
network. In your
case, this would either involve a wireless LAN, or a network
cable (but you
would have to go to some trouble to make the connections
waterproof).

I'm not familiar with the PPC, so I don't know if it has a
network socket,
or wireless LAN. If it hasn't, then I don't think you can do
what you want.

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd. PC & Unix consultancy &
programming