WAYNE STEINARD

PanPan....

I understand anyone can declare a PanPan. We did it on the Florida West
Intracoastal this year when we assisted two somewhat elderly boaters
clinging to thier still running but swamped skiff.
They were going in circles in the channel. We had to forget (for the most
part) the traffic and hope the other boaters heard the warning. The Coast
guard responded on the air, but did not need to physically assist. I believe
they "cleared" the PanPan. Fortunately, the boaters were not hurt. Although,
the woman was run over and only her clothes were cut by the prop!

So much for the ******* in the 45 footer that swamped them and kept going.
Too bad the waterways are full of low lifes like that.

Wayne, Quo-Vadis Too

"Steve" wrote in message
Can I get a clear definition of "Pan-Pan", who and when may it be
declared.

I have hard the USCG declare "Pan-Pan", followed by a requirement that all
none "Pan-Pan" traffic on channel 16 traffic be suspended.

Can an individual boat declare "Pan-Pan", say when a crew member is lost
overboard, etc??

I fairly sure I understand when I could send a "May Day" but, to me, Pan
Pan is something more recent and I must have missed out on earlier
definition..

Thanks

Steve
s/v Good Intentions