Skip Gundlach

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
But a single bank is feasible, at least on the Chesapeake during the
season, with the addition of a small solar cell. Ours is 12w. On last
year's cruise, the battery was dead flat one morning. Switched
everything off but the solar cell and we could start by mid-morning.
Since it tops things off between weekends, we only need to use the
engine for motive power. Have never had healthier batteries; the one I
expected to replace was rejuvenated.

It is this premise on which I'm making the move to solar and wind as my
(nearly - the engine has a small-by-large-frame-standards alternator, and
I'll have a briefcase Honda genset in the Laz for shore duty) only charging
sources.

Barring some unforeseen catastrophe, our batteries should last a *very* long
time, as they'll be topped up continuously, gently, and the everyday power
usages will mostly be covered by current (pardon the expression) input.
FWIW, 6 L16HC are on the list...

We, too, will have an extremely short run from the starter to batteries.
Browse around
http://www.dv-fansler.com/FTP%20File...r%20System.pdf
this and the site from which it came for some pretty good electrical
discussion.

L8R

Skip, about to go back and start that part of the refit

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain