Don White

Default remove compass when winterize?

What to do probably depends on the quality of the compass.
The Mirage 33 sailboat I crew on came equipped with an
Aqua meter...something or other on a binnacle stand that was very clouded
from exposure to sunlight..
A local 'expert' said it was impractical to fix as parts (seals) & globe
were very hard to comeby. He recommended a new Ritchie at about $ 500.00
Cdn.
The skipper balked so the old one is still on the boat...we just don't use
it much :-)

mark s wrote in message
m...
when winterizing my boat, I did not remove the large compass.

recently, i looked at the boat and the compass liquid was empty. i
suspect it froze and cracked a seal and drained out upon thawing(?) i
suppose this liquid is not freeze-proof...

1) should large liquid filled compasses typically be removed prior to
winter or was this probably a freak incident and the liquid should not
freeze?
2) what fluid is typically used in the compass? if water, can i
simply repair by refilling (and sealing) or should I scrap it?

-mark