Tinkerntom

Tinkerntom wrote:
BCITORGB wrote:
Tink says:
===========
Ken, Wilf, is talking about extending the dowel out 28", see what

falling
off his workbench, and you seemed more inclined to do this sort of
stuff! I mean testing, not falling off your bench! TnT
==============

I'm with you on this Tink -- as far as a 275 pound guy is

concerned.
The question is, as you point out, what happens when the dowel is
extended out 28" and approx 50 pounds is placed essentially at the

14"
mark (although, what with twisting and turning, the full 50 pounds
could, momentarily anyway, be way out there at the 28" mark)?

Tink, you mentioned that you're an electrician: do you think 50

pounds
could bend the larger diameter conduit?

Cheers,
Wilf

Wilf, you say you are with me on this, do mean the testing, or

falling
off the workbench?

I am not sure what you mean by large diameter. We bend conduit all

the
time with bending tools up to 1". Beyond that we have hydralic

benders.
This is mainly to provide a standard radius that the wire can be

pulled
through inside. Otherwise if you were to take the conduit, and bend

it
over a sharp edge, as soon as the radius of the tube is broken, the
tube will easily collapse. There is a certain structural strength to
the tube, but once it is compromised, the tube material is pretty

soft
and malleable.

One person that you might check with, is Michael Daly. Recently I saw
him post, that he is a structural engineer. He could probably give

some
good suggestions on real data base. I mostly figure stuff off the

seat
of my pants, hence the Tinker. My name is a double or triple entendo
(sp)! Given enough time, as a practical engineer, I can usually

cobble
something together! Though it is the sort of stuff you might see on

the
Red/Green Show.

I guess one thing I might ask you though, is how did you come up with
the 28" number? Also is your rack a commercial unit, or is it

standard
Ford issue on Aerostar?

As you load the kayak, can you come in at a larger angle to get the

bow
more up on the vehicle to start. That way the extension would not

need
to be so long. You would then be standing further out from the

vehicle
as you lift the stern, lift it higher so that the front does not get
pivoted off the front rack, and swing the stern up on the rear rack.

Also did you understand about the safety line, which should help keep
the bow in place. TnT

Sorry Wilf, I answered your second post before I saw the first, will
reread and get back to you later, TnT