Jack Painter

"Steve" wrote

/snip/
I think the reason I raised the question was because I got to thinking

about
that "Big Red Button" on my new DSC VHF, labeled "Distress" (or some word

this effect). Understand that by activating this button/switch, my VHF

will
automatically send my distress signal and vessel ID (MMSI) and GPS

position
(assuming GPS is connected). However, I'm also hearing that the USCG is

not
yet equipped or manned to monitor for this emergency frequency.

Steve (still learning)
s/v Good Intentions

Hi Steve,

Full coverage of VHF-DSC will not be complete until the Rescue-21system is
fully implemented, and that may be another two years. But in the interim,
USCG Stations and Groups have installed DSC guard-receivers that alert to
all Ch-70 (Distress button) messages. This may not be complete in all areas,
but it has been in effect on the East coast for over a year.

This afternoon a search involving two USCG vessels working an area from the
Mouth of the Chesapeake Bay out to the Atlantic-side of Virginia Beach
oceanfront, lasted about two hours before being classed as an uncorrelated
Mayday and suspended. Someone had pressed the Distress button on a
DSC-equipped VHF radio, and no position or other information was sent. Every
boater's DSC-equipped radio that was in range and operating, would have been
commanded to ch-16 as an alert-tone sounded. This way, all vessels in range
of the distress will be able to hear the voice mayday when (if) it comes.
When the sending-radio is through with it's timed-distress signal, the
operator may turn to ch-16 and make his voice call of distress. When that
doesn't follow, it ties up valuable assets and personnel that are unable to
assist vessels in real distress. That's the second false-DSC alert this
week, and it's only Tuesday.

Jack