Steve

Eric, Are you under the impression that everyone, here in this group has
taken a boating course?

I have been boating for 47 years and never took a boating course.. Not to
say that I couldn't benefit from one. Never too old to learn.

The reality being, that for my first 35 years of boating, I never had a VHF
radio and never felt I needed one until I finally purchased a boat that had
one. Until recently, the cost of a VHF radio was about the equivalent of a
medium size main sail. What do you think I would choose?? (Now, the price of
VHF comes down while the cost of sails go up. Go figure?)

I believe the PanPan is much more recent and maybe I missed it's
introduction to the recreational boating community.

I think the reason I raised the question was because I got to thinking about
that "Big Red Button" on my new DSC VHF, labeled "Distress" (or some word to
this effect). Understand that by activating this button/switch, my VHF will
automatically send my distress signal and vessel ID (MMSI) and GPS position
(assuming GPS is connected). However, I'm also hearing that the USCG is not
yet equipped or manned to monitor for this emergency frequency.

Steve (still learning)
s/v Good Intentions

"Eric" wrote in message
Pan Pans and Maydays are clearly defined in the course material that you
have from your boating course.
Eric

"Steve" wrote in message
Can I get a clear definition of "Pan-Pan", who and when may it be
declared.

I have hard the USCG declare "Pan-Pan", followed by a requirement that
all none "Pan-Pan" traffic on channel 16 traffic be suspended.

Can an individual boat declare "Pan-Pan", say when a crew member is lost
overboard, etc??

I fairly sure I understand when I could send a "May Day" but, to me, Pan
Pan is something more recent and I must have missed out on earlier
definition..

Thanks

Steve
s/v Good Intentions