Ernie

Default Went out boating and fishing today

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 08:42:50 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:46:52 +0000, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

What were you fishing for?

The upper Thames River (past New London CT) has been producing an

incredible
number of over-winter stripers and while I haven't gone, the winter

flounder
fishing as been spectacular.

What the hell is a "striper" anyway? I hear about them all the time on

this
NG - never heard of them (we fish for halibut, salmon, steelhead, trout,

etc.
here)

They are a sal****er bass which spawns in marshy areas. The fresh
water stripers in the fresh water lakes out west are hybrids I
believe. Although you will find stripers in rivers where the salt and
fresh water mix.

Fun to catch - terrific eatin'...

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

Though my boat is up for the winter, and for this I cry almost daily,
strippers are plentiful at the mouth of the Saco River in Maine and along
the coast. Mackerels are also plentiful before the blues come in and that's
when the fun begins. At times there are so many, schools of them, that you
can't give them away. Everybody has them and you don't have room to store
them. I fish from May to October and dig clams from January to May. Cohogs
are plentiful and available year round. Chopped up they make for a terrific
chowder.
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964