BCITORGB

Cyli says:
================
Look at what holds your doors on. In a car it's two hinges. Stress
compounded with leverage is probably not a good thing for hinges. Look
at how many square inches of hinge there are. Look at the door.

You may decide to just lean it against the top and lever it that way
until you cobble up or buy a rack extender. Paint scrapes just need
some repair (or, in my case, some ignoring), but a damaged door is
more expensive in time and money and safety.
=====================

I take your point.

Last yesterday PM I was already at a hardware scouting out the
materials to cobble together a rack extender. My initial thoughts are
electrical conduit -- 2 different diameters. I would clamp (using
something like hose clamps) the larger diameter conduit to the front
roof rack crossbeam. Then, the other piece of conduit would slide in
and out as needed; held in place (either in or out) by a cotter pin or
some such gismo.

My only concerns a will I have enough of the smaller diameter
conduit extended to hold the kayak (approx 24" - but I'll need some
slack as the back of the kayak is pulled around, so let's say 28"). OR
If too much of the smaller conduit is extended, will I still have (a)
"stability" due to the "play" between the two pieces of conduit and (b)
since I'm no electrician, at what point (weight of kayak) can I expect
the conduit to bend?

Any thoughts? Improvements? Recommendations?

Cheers,
Wilf