Lee Huddleston

Last year there was another discussion of Mayday and PanPan calls on
this news group. Someone asked where the words came from. A
knowledgeable poster answered that when the words were chosen French
was the international language just as English is now. Mayday is
simply the anglicized version of the French for "help me." This
naturally led to the question of what PanPan meant. Before the
knowledgable poster could answer, a comic answered that "pan" was
French for "bread" and the French were so serious about their bread
that it was the equivalent to a cry for help. :-) Actually the
French word for bread is very close to "pan." But the correct meaning
of the word is equivalent to our "breakdown." So by using PanPan you
are technically stating that you have a breakdown and need assistance
but it is not life-theatening yet. Such as a broken rudder without
the container ships bearing down on you.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove