Me

In article m0jZd.63327$7z6.25479@lakeread04,
"Jack Painter" wrote:

You posted these questions:
"Is there a test process for VHF/DSC? My latest boat came with two DSC
capable ICOMs but I have no idea if the feature is even hooked up, let
alone working. Also, I have no idea what vessel ID is programmed, if
any."
--
Testing the distress-signal feature of a vhf radio with the "Distress"
button on front panel is never permitted. The radio has other dsc features

You can operate your dsc-capable radio according to it's individual
capabilities with other dsc-capable radios, according to their capabilities.
Several different versions of dsc are on the water. All this is covered in
the owner's manual.
--
I did remind you that " you must
register an MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identifier) number to YOUR vessel.

and

"Changing the MMSI on a radio can be done by the owner, providing you have
the owner's operation manual which provides these instructions. Many radio
manufacturers provide manuals online. BOAT-US has an 800 # for you to call
where an experienced associate can walk you through the procedures involved.
That number is: 1-800-566-1536 (working hours). Or you can simply walk-in to
any BOAT-US store with your radio(s) and do the same"
--

Is this clear what your first steps should be, ie: obtaining an owner's
manual, determining what your radio is capable of, then registering an MMSI

Jack

What Jack really meant is: "Read your Radio's Manual" Brevity is not
Jacks strong suite, and he still doesn't 'Get" what you really wanted
in your original question. Oh well, there are a lot of things that Jack
doesn't "Get"........

Me one wonders if Jack actually "Gets" anything.......