Shortwave Sportfishing

Default Went out boating and fishing today

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 13:43:36 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:46:52 +0000, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

What were you fishing for?

The upper Thames River (past New London CT) has been producing an incredible
number of over-winter stripers and while I haven't gone, the winter flounder
fishing as been spectacular.

What the hell is a "striper" anyway? I hear about them all the time on this
NG - never heard of them (we fish for halibut, salmon, steelhead, trout, etc.
here)

Lloyd

Striped bass. A fresh and salt water species. Sometimes large, but not
much of a fighter.

Ever catch a 35 inch 40 pounder on a fly rod or a 6 foot M spinning
rod with 20 lb test?

I didn't think so. :)

Stripers are as much fun in the surf or off the bottom as a blue fish.
However, it you use heavy tackle, then it isn't much fun even if you
catch a bluefish and those will fight you all the way to the boat.
The problem with stripers is when you turn them towards the rod or the
boat, they will come straight at the boat - you have to spin the reel
hard just to catch up. Fish who run at angles provide the best fight,
but stripers aren't anything to sneeze at.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964