Scout

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...
So, basically, unions are all good?

Not at all; I never said that. In fact, I've acknowledge the negative side
of unions. Fundamentally, they are political machines.

What is the cost of the teachers union to the future productivity of this
country?

I'm for a fair package. I took a $20,000/year cut in salary to come into the
classroom. You'd have a difficult time convincing me that vocational
teachers make what their counterparts in the field are making. It is true
that in some cases, teachers need to retire or be fired. That is the job of
administrators/supervisors.
I'm more surprised by the endless demands placed on teachers. Perhaps they
should be reduced if salaries and benes are reduced.
And; perhaps parents should be held accountable for the study habits and
extra-curricular activities of their children.
Most teachers I know are quite dedicated and very capable in their content
areas. They can provide superior instruction to those who are willing to
help themselves. Teachers are not equipped, however, to cure the societal
ills that walk into their classrooms everyday. It's a whole different
ballgame than the classrooms faced by college professors.

How many jobs in the last century were shipped overseas because of unions?

True, there is always someone worse off who is willing to work at or below
the poverty level.

How much environmental damage have unions caused in the steel and
automotive
industry clinging to old methods and factories?

I don't know. My affiliation with trade unions has involved the design and
maintenance of energy management (conservation) systems, as well as the
construction of nuclear facilities and trash to steam plants, among others.

How many companies will default on their pension promises because of
bloated
union demands? How many people will wind up getting nothing or very little
when they retire?

Perhaps not even social security when Mr. Bush is done reforming that
system. Time will tell but he won't be around to accept the responsibility.
As for union pensions, it is the responsibility of the members to guard
their pensions. I keep close track of what is happening with Steamfitters
and Construction Trades pensions.

How many union members have been ripped off or beaten up by their own
unions?

Some, but much less than have been helped.

What is the overall cost of unions impeding the fluidity of capital?

May I suggest you read "The Grapes of Wrath" again.

I appreciate the civil discourse.
Scout